here's my (apparently) annual journal. I just don't visit this place that much anymore, although I'm still amazed how much I've learned by posting here and how many friends I made over the years that I now met in real life in the USA, UK and beyond - many of them have become succesful professional artists now - so I think this place is still relevant. But nowadays, Im more on Facebook, twitter, tumblr, that kind of stuff. The design of this website is still so damn ugly and that makes it less appealing to come back.
Still, for those interested small update on the highlights of my past year and upcoming nearby future. Some happy surprises came up.
- learned a lot of new animation skills by doing several big commercials that appeared on tv and internet.
- got to do my first big editorial job making a ton of illustrations for the big regional newspaper.
- developed an idea for an animated short series for kids and together with a wonderful producer now this is actually going to happen. Crazy. Writing about 30 episodes right now. More about it later.
- started working as a screenwriter on a live action comedy/drama series for Belgian national tv. I honestly never thought I would one day be a screenwriter, but I love it. It's a big challenge, but it's also great for my storytelling skills. I'm part of a lovely writer's team and we laugh a lot.
- I went to London with my girlfriend and had a blast at ELCAF festival by Nobrow. I met a ton of artist friends and other people that I admire. Went to the Welcome collection with the ever lovely Luke Pearson and others. Got invited to weird beach town Brighton by illustrator Edward Cheverton and had such a great time there.
- I went to the south of Sweden to relax and get inspired. I met up with great artist EKTA. Fantastic guy. We did a mural together in the city of Göteborg. I'll post it soon.
- I did a solo exhibition at the park library in antwerp and was part of several group exhibitions in antwerp : After Six Festival ( music+arts ), A group show at the Designcenter of Antwerp, Free to play ( an indie game festival ), Fabrikage Festival ( music+arts ), A one day pop up exhibition by a local poet and performer, A group show at Walls gallery in Amsterdam.
- I also started an epic duo exhibition concept with my friend and great artist Anton van Steelandt: The Jangton Brothers. It's a retrospective art show about 2 fictitious directors. We are planning to do more shows were we reveal more about their work. It includes film posters, props, masks, costumes, pictures, footage, merchandise, etc. We already showed 12 posters in october. I'm very excited about this project.
- and also cool: my girlfriend and I went living together in Antwerp. I love it. We have a cat and a crossbow with sucker darts.
last few months were a bit heavy due to a lot of things coming together all at once, but I'm getting things organized. Definitely looking forward to the end of the year as my girlfriend and I decided to celebrate New Year's Eve in Reykjavik, Iceland ! Can't wait to get wasted in the snow and freeze my ass off.